Sunday, June 19, 2011

Unity DE is now Working as Well As Can Be Expected

 Happy, happy, joy, joy

See the next day's post.

I posted this elsewhere:


[FIXED] Re: Unity Desktop Environment nonresponsive with GeForce 7300 LE...


Short answer: not a nVidia driver problem.


I found a fix, at least for my system, in the Debian User Forums:


http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65539 "Lost 3D after updating nvidia-glx, linux and X".


Someone advised reinstalling the following packages:


libegl1-mesa_7.10.2-3_i386.deb
libglu1-mesa_7.10.2-3_i386.deb
libegl1-mesa-drivers_7.10.2-3_i386.deb
xserver-xephyr_1.10.2-1_i386.deb
libgl1-mesa-dri_7.10.2-3_i386.deb
xserver-xorg-core_1.10.2-1_i386.deb
libgl1-mesa-glx_7.10.2-3_i386.deb


I reinstalled the Ubuntu amd64 equivalents:


libegl1-mesa <-------- Not installed or needed on my system.
libglu1-mesa
libegl1-mesa-driver <- Not installed or needed on my system.
xserver-xephyr
libgl1-mesa-dri
xserver-xorg-core
libgl1-mesa-glx


Two of these packages, libegl1-mesa and libegl1-mesa-driver, WERE NOT installed on my system after the upgrade to natty (Ubuntu 11.04). I don't know why they weren't installed during the upgrade, or if they were there before the upgrade. They seem to be needed. (No, they are not.)


After banging in these packages, the Unity Desktop Environment works as well as can be expected. (Snarky comments removed.) Of course, I am running the nVidia 275.09.07 drivers instead of the ones in the Ubuntu repository...


A great Father's Day present for me! Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.


I'm not a fan of the Unity DE, but it is nice to have my video working properly again.

No comments:

Post a Comment