Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Spam Musubi



It's February in Skokieland, and a fresh snowfall has come, adding yet another layer of beautiful white snow. Santa has long since come and gone, leaving a nice stocking full of coal under the Hanuka  bush to keep Mike warm. It would be lovely to be somewhere warm, near the ocean, and sit and sip umbrella drinks after parasailing, but that is not in the cards for an unemployed layabout such as I. Still, the most wonderful Miss Lizzy has got a nice bunch of coconuts and a plate full of Spam musubi, made by yours truly, Mike. I call it my tropical vacation lunch. I had to roll my own Spam musubi because the 7-Eleven's of Skokieland do not carry it. The Illinois Tech 7-Eleven did (and maybe still does) carry decent pitas stuffed with felafel or chicken shawarma, and samosas with wonderful green coriander chutney but that is literally on the other side of town, over an hour away on the el. The local joints do sell mediocre po' boys featuring soft bread rolls, yellow process cheese and something like Oscar Mayer bologna sausage, but that's just not working for me today.

Yes, I have eaten these alleged po' boys. It's one of the night school students quick meal units. We'll discuss the frozen burrito fetish later -- you need to microwave those, and often there's just not enough time or clean microwaves available.

I never thought I would ever be eating spam, much less cooking it with teriyaki sauce, but here I am. I blame it on winter, and the general lack of good tomatoes.

Of course, Spam musubi ain't half bad, especially  with some furikake added. Since Miss Lizzy purchased the jumbo tin of Spam, I only used half the can so far. I can see more Spam teriyaki in my near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment