Friday, February 5, 2010

Next on the Agenda

A 1952 Soviet poster advertising pelmeni
 (Source: Wikipedia pelmeni article.)

After the great success of the Tropical Vacation Lunch, I seek new culinary worlds to conquer. I've been eating lots of frozen pierogi, pelmeni and gyoza lately. I decide that it was time for me to cut out the middleman and to start rolling my own. Fortunately, the beautiful and talented Maangchi has a video on how to make the Korean version, which are called mandu. To my delight, you can buy the wrappers from a grocery store. The ingredients are in the house, and the dried shiitake mushrooms are soaking right now. Later, I'm gonna be cooking with Maangchi. Miss Lizzy will be so jealous.

(Later, after the shiitake mushrooms have finished soaking.)

I kept my cheatsheet handy.

Everything went like clockwork, just like in Maangchi's video except I ran out of wrappers long before I ran out of the meat mixture. I don't really see that as a problem because I was getting tired and my back was starting to hurt. I was really glad to wrap up the remaining meat mixture and stick it in the fridge for later.  I can buy some more wrappers tomorrow. I also really wanted to eat some mandu.

I really need to buy more wrappers!
I think next time I make these I'm going to try to press gang Miss Lizzy into helping me, which could be fun. We can flirt around with each other as we make mandu.  I wonder if this is a world-wide problem. Are many unplanned pregnancies the result of promiscuous mandu making?

mandu

I'm going to do this again now that I know how easy it is.

Lunch is served


No comments:

Post a Comment