Friday, October 14, 2011

Hey, it's October!

Atop the lighthouse at Whitefish Bay

At Whitefish Bay, Michigan

Hmm, I've been a bit inactive as of late. It's time to update the blog...

Ken and I "Said Yah to Da UP, Eh!" and made a lightning strike to Whitefish Point, Michigan (aka "The Graveyard of Ships"). This is the site of a working lighthouse and the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, among other things. From Chicago, it's a very long ride in the country, at times on rural roads with, at most, one destination sign. (I believe that the locals think that road signs are optional. If you don't know where the road goes, why the hell would you want to travel it, ya stupid fudgie?) The "Edmund Fitzgerald"  that Gordon Lightfoot sings about sank near this place, and every year there a memorial service is held at the museum. The recovered bell from the Big Fitz is rung 29 times, once for each crew member. A replacement bell, inscribed with names of the the crew, was installed on the wreck. We also passed through Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan and saw the Soo Locks in action, visited the museum ship Steamship Valley Camp (very cool) and went to the top of the Tower of History. We had a great time.
Mackinaw Bridge


Something else great about Michigan: where I come from, a party store sells things such as paper hats and decorated napkins; in Michigan, a party store sells all varieties of  booze. The heck with paper hats! They folks really know how to party! Yowza! I celebrated this diversity by purchasing a variety of beers and some legal, 125 proof  moonshine. A few of the beers and the moonshine made it back home intact. I haven't cracked the hooch open yet, but I'll get around to it.
Moonshine

Interesting to note: my wife's two brothers, both alumnae of Ole_Miss, were unable to hook me up with moonshine in Mississippi. They claimed no knowledge of such things, the sissies. I had to console myself with Stoli while I was down south. I'll tell you one thing, the great thing about Mississippi is that for greater efficiency, beer is sold in gas stations and convenience stores instead of liquor stores. It sure sped things up for me!  I'm not sure what a party store is in Mississippi. Maybe that's where you can buy a lap dance or something.

Like all good tourists, we purchased a crapload of fudge and postcards, ate a pastie, and ran out of gas on the interstate. On the journey home, I survived on a balanced diet of non-Chicago hot dogs with mustard and V8 juice. I'm more or less still alive, but I really need eat some greens.

A few photos:
The lighthouse at Whitefish Bay

Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum

View from the Lighthouse


No comments:

Post a Comment