Friday, April 23, 2010

Mirage

Earlier, I wrote that my pal Brian had a client who wanted to pay us to install OS X on his netbook. (Creating a "hackintosh".)  I neglected to mention that Brian's reality differs from mine in many respects. In some other universe, Brian has a client who wants us to install OS X on a HP netbook and is willing to pay. In this universe... nah.

I still like the guy, but I'm a little pissed at myself for taking him seriously, even for a moment. It's just that I'm broke and unemployed right now, so a few extra bucks would be nice.

I've been preparing my desktop system for an OS reinstall. I have Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" running in Virtual box, and it's running well. It's running  well despite the rich goof's current master plan to change the default color scheme from disgusting orange brown to putrid eggplant purple and move the window control buttons from the right side of the screen to the left side of the screen.  This is button move is major stuff. They are sitting around right now finding new and innovative uses for the newly freed real estate on the right hand side. I don't know about you, but I just can't wait. Seriously. I'm sure that I will eventually get over the bad habit of trying to click on the right hand side top of every fricking window eventually.

If I was a wealthy guy with my own software company people would take me seriously, too. Money buys a lot of respect. Especially paycheck money. "Move those darn buttons! This is big!" I think that Mark Shuttleworth wants to be like Steve Jobs. I'm thinking that one Steve jobs is enough, but since he tends to keep his snout out of Linux I can live with him. The problem is, Ubuntu is Mark Shuttleworth. We're stuck with him. He is a self appointed benevolent dictator for life, and he's paying good money for the right.

Well, if Lucid is too annoying, I can revert back to Debian. Or even jump to another distro. It ain't that big a deal. There's not much special sauce in Ubuntu.

No comments:

Post a Comment